Friday, May 22, 2015

English versus Portuguese

Why am I back to writing in english when I can totally do it in my own language?

Well.. for those who do not live in Portugal, we had this spelling reform that is taking place.

It was supposed to be endorsed by the eight Portuguese speaking countries, namely Portugal, Brazil, Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, São Tomé & Príncipe and East Timor.
The goal of the agreement was to strengthen the role of the Portuguese language internationally and to guarantee linguistic uniformity among the eight member states of the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP).

But, turns out, we are the only country of all of those mentioned that took those reforms into action and demands their use by law.

If you are interested in the matter, you check the Spelling Reform.


I do not agree with the changes and I'd rather not type tons of spelling mistakes. My english is now better than my portuguese. I know the use of my blog to practice the Portuguese Spelling Reform is debatable, but I feel more comfortable writting in english at this point.


This entry was posted in




0 comments:

Post a Comment